Items may be found on the ground, dropped by monsters, gained from quests, or bought from stores.
Types of Items
Items are divided into different types, that usually fits into specific slots of characters.
Most items are ranked into tiers.
|Two-handed||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat for base damage (Avg. randomized damage):||Accuracy Bonus|
|Battleaxes||-||-||Strength||120% (150%) Strength||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Greatswords||-||-||Strength||120% (156%) Strength||0.4% Critical Multiplier|
|Greatmauls||-||-||Strength||120% (150%) Strength||0.2% Weapon Damage|
|Staffs||-||-||Magic||80% (88%) Magic||2% Proc Damage! (1% for short staves)|
|Tridents||-||-||Strength||120% (150%) Strength||0.2% Weapon Damage|
|One-handed||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Waraxes||No||-||Strength||100% (120%) Strength||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Longswords||No||-||Strength||100% (120%) Strength||0.4% Critical Multiplier|
|Maces||No||-||Strength||100% (120%) Strength||0.2% Weapon Damage|
|Daggers||Yes||-||Dexterity||50% Strength 50% Dexterity (57.5%/57.5%)||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Whips||Yes||-||Dexterity||100% (105%) Dexterity (for most whips)||0.4% Critical Multiplier|
|Mindstars||Yes (no offhand penalty)||-||Willpower||50% Willpower 30% Cunning (52.5%/31.5%) (increased by)||Accuracy determined by Willpower, not Dexterity. 0.25% Critical Chance|
|Steamsaws||Yes||-||Strength||100% (125%) Strength||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Ranged||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Bows||-||Quivers||Dexterity||Use ammo stat||Use ammo|
|Slings||No||Pouches||Dexterity||Use ammo stat||Use ammo|
|Steamguns||Yes (no offhand penalty)||Pouches||Dexterity||Use ammo stat||Use ammo|
|Ammo||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Quivers of arrows||N/A||N/A||Dexterity||70% Dexterity 50% Strength (77%/55%)||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Pouches of shots||N/A||N/A||Dexterity||70% Dexterity 50% Cunning (77%/55%)||0.2% Weapon Damage|
|Unarmed||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Unarmed||N/A||-||N/A||100% (105%) Strength||None|
|Gloves||N/A||-||None||40% Dexterity 40% Strength 40% Cunning (42%/42%/42%)||0.25% Critical Chance|
|Gauntlets||N/A||-||None||40% Dexterity 40% Strength 40% Cunning (48%/48%/48%)||0.2% Weapon Damage|
|Special||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Shields||Offhand only (no offhand penalty)||-||Strength||100% (110%) Strength||2% Proc Damage!|
|Non-item Weapons||May wield in offhand?||Ammo||Stat requirement||Uses stat:||Accuracy Bonus|
|Throwing Knives||N/A||-||N/A||70% Dexterity 50% Strength (84%/60%)||0.5% APR|
|Dream Hammer||N/A||-||N/A||120% (150%) Willpower||Accuracy determined by Willpower, not Dexterity. No accuracy bonus.|
|Tentacle Hand||N/A||-||N/A||100% (120%) Magic||None|
You can attack with melee weapons by trying to move into an enemy ("bump attacks"), or equivalently by using thetalent. By default, you do not attack with shields. Some talents will specifically attack with your shield, and the talent makes your bump attacks include attacking with your shields (as well as letting you wield shields in your main hand).
Melee weapons that are held in the offhand have a 50% damage penalty, except mindstars and shields. Some talents can increase the damage multiplier for offhand weapons above 50%. Ranged weapons have no offhand damage penalty.
Steamsaws function as a combination of normal weapons and shields. You can attack with them as normal, and they are suffer from the offhand penalty, but talents that attack with your shield will also attack with them Needs verification, you can egos.with them, and they can get either weapon or shield
There exist unique artifacts that break the rules laid out in the above table for how each type of weapon behaves. One particular kind is "double weapons". These weapons are all steamsaws and steamguns from Embers of Rage, and they are two-handed, unlike ordinary weapons of their types. These double weapons can function as both a mainhand and offhand weapon at the same time (attacking twice), as long as you have nothing in your offhand (relevant because it is possible for an Ogre to have a two-handed weapon in their mainhand and something in their offhand at the same time). Two-handed steamgun double weapons will fire their offhand shots even if the user doesn't have a talent that would let them shoot with an ordinary offhand steamgun.
Armour generally increases your survivability.
Body Armor comes in 4 categories, Robes, Light (leather), Heavy (chain), and Massive (plate)
- Heavier armor comes with higher fatigue, increasing the stamina, mana, psi, hate, positive energy, and negative energy cost of skills, but not equilibrium, vim, paradox, steam, or insanity costs.
- Heavy armor cannot be equipped without rank 1 ; massive armour cannot be equipped without rank 3. also increases the benefits of heavy and massive armor, granting bigger bonuses for massive.
- Mobile Defence, a Mobility talent, improves the effects of light armor.
- Rogues and Shadowblades cannot use in heavy or massive armor.
- Many Brawler skills cannot be used in massive armor.
Head, Hand, and Foot armours come in just 3 types, cloth, leather, and metal. Level 1is required to equip metal, but there is no other difference. Talents like that cannot be used with metal body armor CAN be used with metal boots, helms, and gauntlets.
Inscriptions are activated abilities available to all characters, which provide general purpose help for the character. They include healing, removal of bad status effects, shielding from damage, increased visibility in dark areas, increased movement speed, teleportation, and elemental damage attacks.
See the full Inscriptions page for more information.
The Transmogrification Chest is a plot/utility artifact.
Description: This chest is an extension of old Sher'tul places of power. Any items dropped inside are transported to an other place, processed and destroyed to extract energy. The byproduct of this effect is the creation of gold, which is useless to process, so it is sent back to you.
When you possess the chest all items you walk upon will automatically be put inside and transmogrified when you leave the level. Simply go to your inventory to move them out of the chest if you wish to keep them. Items in the chest will not encumber you.
Once obtained, any new items are automatically placed into the chest, where they do not count toward current encumbrance. When changing a level (forced) or at any time, the chest may be invoked to destroy the items inside, and return gold; more powerful items produce more gold. Items inside the chest may also be transferred to regular inventory, where they will count against your encumbrance, but are also available for use.
All items are crafted by someone, or something. A power source is the source of an item's power. In most cases, an item's power source does not impact gameplay, but there are some exceptions to this:
- Being Anti-magic prevents you from equipping Arcane powered items.
- Wearing arcane disrupting items will randomly cause any talent with the is a spell property to fail. This includes runes and sustained talents. The chance of failure is 10% per material level of the item. Items without a material level will be treated as if they were level 1.
- The Solipsists' Psychometry grants bonus mindpower for nature, psionic, and arcane disrupting items
- The Tinker's Innovation grants bonuses to master-crafted and steamtech items
There are 7 different power sources:
- Powered by arcane forces - Associated with mages
- Infused by nature - Natural forces, originating from the land itself
- Infused by arcane disrupting forces - Items made by Anti-magic groups, like the Ziguranth
- Crafted by a master: - Crafted by smiths and similar people through mundane techniques
- Infused by psionic forces - Items infused with mental or emotional energy.
- Powered by unknown forces - Mysterious or Otherworldly forces
- Powered by steamtech - Steam powered! (introduced in Embers of Rage)
There are 7 different item colors, based on rarity and egos.
- white - base items with no ego modifiers
- light green - one or two lesser ego modifiers
- blue - one greater or one greater and one lesser ego modifier
- violet - two greater ego modifiers
- pink - multiple randomized bonuses, including effects not normally found on this item type or from this power source
- orange - random artifacts
- yellow - standard Artifacts
Item materials have no other function in game other than to indicate the item tier.
Tier is the first factor in determining an item's abilities. Higher tier weapons do more damage, and have higher stat requirements to equip. Higher tier armor gives higher Armour and Defense, and so on. There is also a full Item list for each tier of every base item.
Gems also have tiers; see their page for details.