Ruined Halfling Complex
The first level has an open layout with hollow buildings. The other levels have a dungeon layout, with darkened corridors connecting lit(?) rooms. All levels are inhabited by medium-strength undead (primarily ghouls, skeletons and skeleton mages).
The boss is Subject Z, who appears in a predefined room in the southern part of the fourth level. He is accompanied by a Yeek Wayist, and the player's arrival triggers a fight between them. Once you defeat Subject Z, several outcomes are possible depending on your race:
- If you are a Yeek, you may speak to the Wayist and unlock Mindslayers.
- If you are a Halfling, the Wayist will become hostile and attack you.
- If you are an Undead race, the Wayist will be hostile to you until you wear your Cloak of Deception.
- If you are not a Yeek or Halfling, you may speak to the Wayist to receive +15 mental save, and +10% confusion immunity. The first time you do this, you will also unlock the Yeek race.
You will have the option of giving the bonus mental save and confusion immunity to a party member that satisfies the following conditions:
- It is not dead, and it is on the current map
- It may be fully controlled by you
- It is not a summoned creature with a time limit
Subject Z initially targets the Wayist, and can kill him in melee within a couple of rounds. Keeping the Wayist alive is quite challenging because of this. Subject Z has many Shadowblade talents and a very good Defense. His physical save is low however, so physical talents with knockback effects can help separate him from the Wayist and buy valuable time.
One strategy for defeating Subject Z, which some may consider an abuse of game mechanics, is to use the Rod of Recall as soon as you arrive on this level. This will lock in Subject Z's level, and you may return later after you have become stronger.
At the eastern end of the room in which one finds Subject Z, there is a "Long tunnel to the island of Rel" that leads to the Yeek starting area. This path is only open to Yeek character and cannot otherwise be entered.
It is possible to find Director Hompalan on level 3, but only if the Old Conclave Vault was chosen to appear this game. In each game, only one out of Dogroth Caldera, the Sludgenest, the Old Conclave Vault, and (if Forbidden Cults is enabled) the Scourged Pits will appear. This is chosen randomly, unless you are a Shalore and have not yet unlocked Ogres, in which case this zone will always be chosen. After defeating him, you can pick up a note revealing the location of the Old Conclave Vault.