Every actor in the game (you and the NPCs, or monsters) has a rank, which is a numeric score. Roughly translated, the ranks are as follows:
|Rank||Description||Bonus Life per level||Bonus Stats per level|
The player is Elite rank. Prior to 1.3 the player was Normal rank on Insane or Madness difficulties.
Some of the effects of rank are:
- Static Field does 1/3 damage to rank 5 actors, 1/2 damage to rank 3.5 actors, and 2/3 damage to rank 3 actors.
- Inner Demons divides the maximum Life of its shadow simulacrum by the target monster's rank.
- Temporal Clone cannot be used on targets of rank 3.5 or higher.
- Shatter instantly kills rank 1, has a 50% higher critical chance against rank 2, and has 25% higher critical chance against rank 3 or higher.
- Gloom grants you a 10 point Hate bonus when a rank 3.5 or higher monster enters your gloom, or a 20 point Hate bonus for rank 4 or higher.
- You also gain 2 times the Hate when slaying an actor of rank 3 or higher ("an elite foe"), or 4 times the Hate when slaying someone of rank 4 or higher ("a great adversary").
- Dominant Will cannot be used on targets higher than rank 3.
- Shadow Simulacrum cannot be used on targets of rank 3.5 or higher.
- The Huge Appetite, Headbanger, Emancipation and Take you with me achievements only count monsters of rank 3.5 or higher.
- The Suffocating Curse only works on actors of rank 2 or less.
- Eksatin's Ultimatum can only decapitate actors whose rank is less than 3.5.
- The Rod of Recall can only be dropped by actors of rank 4 or higher.
- Killing any actor of rank 3.5 or higher suppresses the tutorial(?).
- Actors of rank higher than 3 who can pass through walls use a smarter pathing algorithm, and appear(?) always to know where the player is.
- Rank partially determines who can shove whom aside (but size matters more).
- Finally, Drain has its very own table of Vim gain multipliers:
|Rank||Drain's Vim Gain Multiplier|
|5 or higher||2.8|
Objects in ToME also have a "rank":
Object rank is used by the Skullcracker talent, and to determine which items are automatically identified (in game versions where that's relevant).
Object rank appears to have nothing to do with actor rank.