Ruined Halfling Complex
The first level has an open layout with hollow buildings. The other levels have a dungeon layout, with darkened corridors connecting lit(?) rooms. All levels are inhabited by medium-strength undead (primarily ghouls, skeletons and skeleton mages).
The boss is Subject Z, who appears in a predefined room in the southern part of the fourth level. He is accompanied by a Yeek Wayist, and the player's arrival triggers a fight between them. Once you defeat Subject Z, several outcomes are possible depending on your race:
- If you are a Yeek, you may speak to the Wayist and unlock Mindslayers.
- If you are a Halfling, the Wayist will become hostile and you will be forced to fight him.
- If you are an Undead race, the Wayist will be hostile to you until you wear your Cloak of Deception.
- If you are not a Halfling, you may speak to the Wayist to unlock Yeeks and receive a bonus to your mental saves.
You will have the option of giving the bonus to mental saves to a party member that satisfies the following conditions:
- It is not dead, and it is on the current map
- It may be fully controlled by you
- It is not a summoned creature with a time limit
Subject Z initially targets the Wayist, and can kill him in melee within a couple of rounds. Keeping the Wayist alive is quite challenging because of this. Subject Z has many Shadowblade talents and a very good Defense. His physical defense is low however, so physical talents with knockback effects can help separate him from the Wayist and buy valuable time.
(One strategy for defeating Subject Z, which some may consider an abuse of game mechanics, is to use the Rod of Recall as soon as you arrive on this level. This sets Subject Z's level to approximately yours. Return after you've gained a bunch of levels, and he'll still be low-level.)
It's possible to find Director Hompalan on level 3, but only if the Old Conclave Vault was chosen to appear this game. In each game, only one out of Dogroth Caldera, the Sludgenest, the Old Conclave Vault, and (if Forbidden Cults is enabled) the Scourged Pits will appear. This is chosen randomly, unless you are a Shalore and have not yet unlocked Ogres, in which case this zone will always be chosen. After defeating him, you can pick up a note revealing the location of the Old Conclave Vault.