• Chronomancy: Paradox Mage to do list (beta 20)   9 years 19 weeks ago

Finished up the changes I wanted to do to the gravity tree today and managed to get particles and sound done for every non-timed effect that's going live with the Temporal Warden.

Not sure what I'll work on next, maybe redo the Matter tree. I'm thinking I'll put Dust to Dust as the first talent on that tree and just make it a straight small ball AoE then move the wall destruction thing over to ashes to ashes in age manipulation. Also thinking Quantum Spike will be the last Matter talent and be a ranged insta-kill :) Should be fun.

Also pondering a cloud spell someplace since gravity well is the only lasting aoe, maybe dust to dust?

• howtocompile   9 years 19 weeks ago

It's worth noting that if you're compiling from the SVN you'll need to import the .dll files and stdout files over from a release copy.

• "For a Nonlinear game..." (More possible spoilers within.)   9 years 19 weeks ago

"if you do the mage apprentice quest at all, before or during the anti-magic quest - it SHOULD [as in it's intended to] not allow you to complete the anti-magic quest. However, AFTER you have done the anti-magic quest to completion, you can then do the mage apprentice quest and all is fine."

So then it is a bug? Because that was not my impression. It seems to me the trial is one where you aren't supposed to take part in something (magic) while the trial is upon you. It doesn't matter if you have touched it before, just as you don't fail if you use magic afterward.

If it is a bug it should reported...so that is what I will do next.

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

Fine :)

Yeah that guide is appreciated. When I first got here I took a look at it and decided early maze was a good idea if done carefully.

If you do the mage apprentice quest at all, before or during the anti-magic quest - it SHOULD [as in it's intended to] not allow you to complete the anti-magic quest. However, AFTER you have done the anti-magic quest to completion, you can then do the mage apprentice quest and all is fine.

And, the Rod of Recall is a convince, not a necessity. Keep in mind, it's existence is only been for the last few betas. So don't feel as though you HAVE to have it.

Also, as you are talking about a fighter in particular, you have no need for staves. So, the first artifact [randart is okay too], give to the apprentice - he'll take it and that's all that he needs.

And, you can take the anti-magic quest as an undead at lvl1, just dive for the stairs and fight only when necessary - you don't even need to kill the unfinished golem.

Other than that, I do like your general plan of approach. I'm going Undead Ruins, Maze, Mire, OF/quest, merchant/cursed/urkis if I haven't done them yet, Daikara, SWL, and then depending on luck of kit I'll either do the elven ruins next or Dreadfell next. Regardless, I'm doing the elven ruins before Iron Throne. After that, it's off to the east - and doing Underwater Cave, Anorthil Cave, Spider Lair, Vor Armory/quest, head back west, do the dungeons again, then do tannen quest, do the prides outside of grushnak [so I don't need to dive down there twice], go back west and do the crypt/plane/whatever else there is now, do the east crypt/whatever else there is, then do the mt. doom dash [or do the dash before heading west the second time], limmir quest followed by grushnaak, which then turns into the slime tunnels, which then turns into final dungeon. Go through, kill shit, own me some wizards and I'm done. :)

Also, some time ago I wrote a guide about Fighters, Dwarf Fighters in particular located here - http://te4.org/blogs/finalmaster/2010/12/dwarf/character-builds-1-dwarf-fighter
    It is a bit old, written before runes/infusions - but it is still mostly valid.

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

Noted. Is 1 post per character, updated periodically OK?

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

Have been dealt with :)

• I call SNAFU...   9 years 19 weeks ago

Actually, it is possible. NPCs get a turn at the same time you do - he could have easily cast a spell that turn [though it doesn't say he did thus he didn't]. But yes, Disease, Burning, Poison, Bleed are all DoT effects. And, they do say who caused it - the skeleton mage did. :D

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

That's a beautiful example of a ditl obviously from an older version of TOME, but still great. It's a shame the spammers found it.

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

You should read the story of Eden on the forum or here: http://te4.org/blogs/burblulls/2010/12/day-life/eden-rogue-chapter-six-eden-wronged

"This looks like the way to Angolwen," Eden said to himself, "Some grandure! You’d think a city of mages would have a better entrance; this is barely a hole in the ground!"
    MAZE 1

"Now, I just need to find a signpost… geez, Angolwen’s a freakin’ labyrinth."

• telefragged   9 years 19 weeks ago

This place isn't horrible once you know the ins and outs of it but it is a bad place for starters.

Some things:

+ The dying and resurrect at 0 or - hp bug should be fixed in the next beta.

+ to survive the tunnels have a teleport rune or phase door rune handy (or spells if you're a mage) and follow the neutral wurms (the ones surrounded by a blue border) as they burrow new halls.

+ you always resurrect on the stairs so if you die in b.18 or earlier make sure to either immediately press the < or > keys or teleport elsewhere without moving. Moving causes the game to realize you should be dead (again) and kills you (I think) alternatively if you have a heal/regen that works too.

+ Going down before level 16 is probably a mistake unless you really know what you are doing. Even then it is an ambitious delve.

• it's quite dark   9 years 19 weeks ago

Hello

I think it would be better if you posted your ongoing log (which is nice to do) in the same blog post, put them as additional comments as you go :)

• Harkor'Zun...   9 years 19 weeks ago

Good thing you had those extra lives!

• Well that's uncomfortable...   9 years 19 weeks ago

Well... Dwarfs ARE known to have stomachs of steel, but that is getting a little crazy.

as a side note, hes swallowed *I THINK* an ancient storm dragon and that was labeled as being massive sized or something.

• Well that's uncomfortable...   9 years 19 weeks ago

Lemme get this straight...you used the sandworm's swallow ability...then the thing you swallowed came back to life? How do you swallow a giant, anyway? I think I see some oversights here...

• I call SNAFU...   9 years 19 weeks ago

No chance at all. I was meleeing him.

• Harkor'Zun...   9 years 19 weeks ago

This just in: He wasn't the boss of the area, even! When I did reach the boss, I was killed once (frozen and mobbed), then killed it back in TWO TURNS. Yeesh.

• Successful compile from svn   9 years 19 weeks ago

First try hit an error, tweaked the lua premake file a bit and it got further but ended up hitting another error.

SDL.h no directory is the first error.

• I call SNAFU...   9 years 19 weeks ago

There is also a chance the mage casted a spell then you attacked and then the projectiles of the spell hit you. That has happened to me.

• Successful compile from svn   9 years 19 weeks ago

Got it compiling. Hopefully it will run all right once it's finished :) I also used 'make CC=gcc" and had to do cd/c:/tengine instead of cd/c/tengine as the wiki said to find my way into the tengine folder.

• I call SNAFU...   9 years 19 weeks ago

Ah...that was probably it. Poison/fire damage really need to better clarify the culprit.

• first bug?   9 years 19 weeks ago

Thank you, although i figured it eventually on my own - nothing a bit of keyboard banging won't fix.

I should reassign them to different keys, laptop keyboards are crammed.

• first bug?   9 years 19 weeks ago

You probably pressed page up or page down.
    (It should tell you so in the log).

There are three pages of hotkeys

• I call SNAFU...   9 years 19 weeks ago

...as some enemies just do not know when to stop, even if they are killed in the middle of their attack sequence (e.g. by riposte).

I do not have any log on hand, but i am fairly positive I have seen such behaviour in b18 - a series of attacks (e.g. from assault or other technique), enemy dies mid-serie due to ripostes or other passive damage source, yet the sequence continues till its end.