• lvl 30 and against all odds in one fell swoop   9 years 28 weeks ago

Congrats. I beat one of the bosses by teleporting away a lot until I had diminished his followers to a reasonable flood.

• Dekar died - he was my best and favorite Dekar :(   9 years 28 weeks ago

One level of Hymn of Perseverance (from a Lost Anorithil) is good for 30% stun resist while it's active. Armor with the "of stability" ego is good for 70%. That 100% will also make Freeze only slow you instead of stopping you cold.

Of course you'll still need other resistances later on, but those are generally findable in the early game.

• Dekar died - he was my best and favorite Dekar :(   9 years 28 weeks ago

Stunning is a common way to die. The monster stuns you then stuns you again and its all over. The way to prevent this is to be aware of what monsters do that that AND find stun resistance gear. Good luck with your new one.

• Dekar died - he was my best and favorite Dekar :(   9 years 28 weeks ago

your wyrmic dekar reminds of my cornac berserker i named him rokhan

i did a run through maze then a cold drake appeared and killed him

i understand your pain but good luck on further adventure

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Have managed to make it through the whole of the western quests so far (level 26) as an Anorithil without dying. I expect that will quickly change as I encounter the orc prides. The character is pretty good at crowd control but there have been a few tight moments with hp at critically low numbers. Thankfully the character has a lot of different defenses and escape routes. We shall have to see how things progress tomorrow.

• i made cornac berserker and its dead now   9 years 29 weeks ago

For the Wildfire tree, the Alchemist is the best thing to use to unlock
    For the Uttercold tree, Wyrmics are the best thing to use to unlock
    For Reavers, the best place to go is the maze
    The fight against the Cursed is probably easiest with a hard hitting melee class like Fighter/Berserker
    For Wyrmics and killing the queen you're probably best off as either a Berserker/Archmage/Fighter

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Sorry to see it died. I was a little lucky with the Queen as she didn't summon before I status locked her with Starfall and Mindblast.

My current incarnation is here http://te4.org/characters/1821/tome/de07deca-1f22-11e0-85da-001cc000edf0

• i made cornac berserker and its dead now   9 years 29 weeks ago

I used berserker to unlock many of the earlier classes with ease. Once you get the ball rolling (level 15ish) you suddenly can crit like crazy, heal super fast, and do massive damage. Get your resist up and you can cruise through the early and mid game.

• i made cornac berserker and its dead now   9 years 29 weeks ago

Awww ;< that's sad.

But then again, it's your fault for playing Hardcore anyway... seriously >.> ^^

thihi... Hardcore-mode huh? Rather Frustration-mode imo :>

If you guys keep that up, the developers might add some weird cemetery features :]

GL HF nxt time, but u should reconsider ur class and difficulty :]

yours sincerely
    Huberto-san

• i made cornac berserker and its dead now   9 years 29 weeks ago

I wish you more luck for the next time!

• i made cornac berserker and its dead now   9 years 29 weeks ago

Thats sounds so sad. Im sorry! :((

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Im on my first attempt but I have a level 9 currently. http://te4.org/characters/1891/tome/85c05f4b-1df0-11e0-bbb3-001cc000edf0

Anthoril is kinda like a submachine where a archmage is like a cannon. Archmage can do more damage but is limited by mana. Anthoril can constantly do smaller damages.

Edit: for escort missions remember that bathe in light can heal your escort

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

I should note that the lab mino was near death before I fumbled my way into yet another stupid death.

Also I have never had any problems predicting/seeing where the (p)s are. A little cautious play = the key in the maze in general. Even vs Bandit Lords you can win fairly easily given you aren't level 1-2.

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

He is deadly in short range. I had by then an teleport rune slot. When I first encountered him I teleported away, then found a nice long hallway and waited for him to track me (I actually got bored pressing '5' so I hurt myself with starfall to be able to speed-regen). I lit up one end (from where he would arrive) with sun blast to spot him at long range. When he showed up I crashed a star into him for a nice stun, then covered the whole approach area with a shadow blast, shot him with searing light, moonbeams and firebeams. He managed two steps at most.

I had problems keeping escorts alive, tended to fry them with residual searing lights or shadow blasts or twilight surges. But one escort thief gave me heightened senses, and I believe that has been absolutely VITAL in this chars survival. So either finding an early good light source or a successful thief escort quest is very useful for A-thils.

Edit: HAvent unlocked barrier yet. Mabye with higher magic level and more skill points, but I haven't gone there yet. (At level 18)

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Yeah well my latest attempt died miserably to the Labyrith Minotaur. I have beaten him with 0 deaths many times but apparently Anorthils are beyond my feeble typing skills. I fumble fingered this latest into a triple death at the start after successfully jumping back to the entrance, and then dumped in frustration. One thing to note: Barrier seems utterly useless. It goes in one round so basically just wastes a turn which is not worth it unless you need one round to cool down your escape talent.

Hey,
    I am currently playing an Anorithil now, after almost-successful fighter, wyrmic and archmage. (They all went east, one twice)

I share your opinion for the starting game. Trollmire is the easiest dungeon but I had more anorithil die there than any other character type. Bill the Troll had 4 notches in his belt before I finally had one of my acolytes kill him. After that it got a whole easier, and now my char is having a very easy time indeed. Kor'Pul, Old forest, Sandworm, Maze, City storm (easiest time I've ever had in here) and now in Daikara. Maxed out moonbeam first, put one point in a good many skills, saved up some generic points to level 8 so I could get the perseverance hymn up to speed, then resistance hymn. Shadow blast was next to max out, after I learned that the damage listed in the talent list is very wrong. It is a LOT more, It's a huge area as well, albeit short range. At level 10 I took another rune/infusion slot. Got 1 wild, 2 regen (keep looking for the best regen/healing there is) and a teleport (in case I forget jumpgate or run out of negative energy). Starfall next pumped, sun flare up to 5 radius blind plus some damage, and getting firebeam up to speed now.

Currently at level 18 I have not maxed out my magic for my level, and hardly worked on cunning at all. (twilight/twilight surge still give enough NE for now). Instead I did enough con to get health +2, and actually raised STR to 18 to get heavy armor ability, to use all those great helms and metal boots that keep dropping.

Got a shielding amulet and boots of stability, so feeling pretty safe nothing can kill me before I can teleport out.

By the way, melee is decent for the char. I do 30 damage per enemy per round. Only thing is, I dont hit them, they do.

Normal is not cheating. In short, normal will probably teach you how to play a class faster, while hardcore will teach safety and how to avoid dying faster. Getting as much +CON and health talents and resists is a priority, no matter what character I play.

-M

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Get to about level 8 and something autokills me (this time it was a failed save vs confusion when I was caught by surprise.) 1 life = no fun so I guess from now on I have to "cheat" to play the game.

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Thanks yes that does help a bit. I have a fondness for fortitude for some reason but resistance is probably better later on.

I am running in Normal Mode...just because I dislike the negatives applied to Roguelike(hardcore).

Heya Gandolfo,

The base Anorithil trees didn't change to much. I added some stat scaling to the Twilight tree and fixed Jumpgate and Shadow Simulacrum (the first the sustain cost was entered backwards so it wasn't being applied and the later had been broken for a number of betas). So any old guides you find should still be pretty up to date.

While I did try to encourage putting points into cunning you can bet by without it for awhile and I would reccommend that if you're playing on a hardcore you keep magic and con maxed until you manage to get your health up to decent levels.

Beyond that, drop jumpgate at the start of every level. It has no range limitation and is one of the best escape abilities in the game (just don't forget to keep enough negative energy to use your jumpgate teleport when you need too). For hymns and chants most people prefer perseverance and resistance but if you have the points to invest in more then one you can switch between them easily during combat (it doesn't cost a turn). Also don't forget the Light tree. Barrier is really nice, just cast it before you engage so you don't burn a turn up.

Hope that helps.

p.s. Moonlight Ray and Shadowfury are your go to spells for damage. Everything else is kinda meh.

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

I'd forgotten about those (I glanced through them when I first signed up here.) They do seem relatively accurate and mostly mirror what I was doing already. The advice about keeping NE full seems to be the best one as that is where the game gets hard. If you run out of negative energy you need to do something to restore it before you can do anything else with it and the sustains really make it tough to keep it high.

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

There are some hints for an old beta version on this page: http://te4.org/wiki/tome4-charhints but the talent trees were changed recently, so the hints may be outdated.

Escort quest zones and levels are randomly chosen and did not change as far as I know.

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

there would seem to be quite a few places where escorts may appear. i encountered the same: no escorts in the trollmire. they turned up in other dungeons. that would be the RNG for you?

• Anthoril   9 years 29 weeks ago

Also why is there no way to edit this once it is entered?

• Chronomancy : Temporal Warden Playtest   9 years 29 weeks ago

I've always loved to see a "real" ranger class in a roguelike (good archery skills + able to dual-wield light weapons while lightly armored). Usually, a ranger is designed as an archer or a fighter, rarely both. Added some talents too? This should be interesting...

• Urist conquers the sandhole   9 years 29 weeks ago

I have written a general guide to fighters, dwarf fighters in particular.

It covers what talents do, which to raise, which to ignore, general strategy, ideal equipment, stats, dungeon order, ect.

Have a look and you might find some interesting tips/things you didn't realize/know before. If you do look at it, could you possibly leave a comment there on how it could be improved?

Thanks