• Ruined Dungeon   9 years 48 weeks ago

You need to examine the orbs more closely by walking into them and answeing no.
    You get different descriptions, e.g. "Flames burst out of the orb", i.e., the orb is associated to fire.

After clearing the level, you can touch the orbs in the order given by the lore (press escape, Show known lore: the clues are already ordered correctly).

If the order is correct, then the orbs glow and at the end the portal is opened. If you made a mistake, monsters are summoned and you must restart with the first orb.

• Roguetypes - heavy armor or not?   9 years 48 weeks ago

A shadowblade needs nearly all stats, but the point allocation depends on your playing style: Str/Dex for the attack chance, Dex/Cun for dagger damage and most rogue talents, Con for hit points, Mag for spells, Wil for stamina and mana.

If you want to use stealth and to heavily rely on the magic spells, then don't use the heavy armours. Just put a point in Heavy Armour Training for a full choice of helmets and boots but keep an eye on your fatigue.

If you use a melee approach, put a point in Heavy Armour Training and use the best light or heavy armour available. In the end game plate armours are probably too expensive in term of invested strength points.

Good starting armours of any type are Grounding / of Stability for the stun resistance, later all blue ego armours.

Good artifact light armours are Behemoth hide, Skin of Many, Rogue Plight and Chromatic Harness.

• Archmage   9 years 48 weeks ago

You are right, the archmage's shield talents are quite poor in beta18. There are already a few changes in the SVN repository, so we will have to wait and see how that improves the situation.

The entire concept of extra lives is still relatively new to ToME4, so don't take this experience as an expectation that you just need to improve. The current implementation of extra lives really fails when you resurrect close to your site of death (and whatever killed you), which I first saw in the Sandworm Lair and what I am assuming you struggled with versus the house boss. Maybe the house boss level should have the entrance/resurrect location be out of sight from the boss encounter?

Oh, and I wouldn't claim to "walk over" that boss... it was a treacherous battle my first time around (playing an Anorithil) and various other characters I have taken down there on Normal difficulty also lost a few lives. Hang in there. :-D

• Archmage   9 years 48 weeks ago

Even found the blood but that didn't keep me alive. Lost quite a few lives vs the house boss. I see what people were complaining about. He's not hard if you have a good tank fighter but otherwise he isn't beatable without at least 1-2 deaths. Ended up again stripped of lives and unable to continue playing without dying so I chose to try and get the tempest unlocked. Forget that... will never happen. Impossible for someone of my meager skills.

Archmage is a tough class to play though having the versatility of lots of different spells is interesting it ultimately fails due to not being powerful enough ironically. I say ironically because it seems to me that the caster monsters in the game are the hardest most vicious unfair mobs. Where as it seems the melee monsters tend to be beatable though some are quite difficult like the (X) and (P) throwers.

Again frustration sets in. Makes me want to punch someone that I spent so much time leveling the character to only have it die all at once on one thing. So, enraging and aggravating. What is the point of the extra lives if they don't help? *shrugs* This is what I hate about roguelikes in general.

Everyone does not play at the same level. (Obviously.) Those who are expert tend to expect everyone else to be. And so the games get ever harder and more frustrating for those who aren't. Even after years I am still clearly a novice with these games. Shamefully dying to things everyone else just walks over.

Bitterness sets in.

• Roguetypes - heavy armor or not?   9 years 48 weeks ago

Fatigue hits mana users twice as hard as it hits everyone else. So even if you're not planning to use stealth you'll probably want to keep a close eye on your fatigue if you plan to make heavy use of your spells.

• Roguetypes - heavy armor or not?   9 years 48 weeks ago

I think the problem is you have high fatique if you wear heavy armor and the benefit isn't all that great, and since your stat gains are mostly in dex, cun, and con you won't want to spare points for wil so your stamina will be running out a lot. Particularly if you run any sustained abilities. So I'd say not.

• Roguetypes - heavy armor or not?   9 years 48 weeks ago

If you are playing a stealth character, you cannot use heavy or massive armor and be stealthed. Otherwise, ofcourse you can. The problem then arises, especially for shadowblades, how much to put into str, when str does nothing for you other than phys saves and carrying capacity?

I say, if str isn't a native stat for you OR you cannot naturally max a stat [and it isn't con], then either forget investing in it, or wait until your core 3 stats are maxed instead, and raise it as your 4th stat [putting in about 20 points or so at the end of the game total].

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

I'm slowly but surely working on a Guide of New Players along with Character Builds while also starting a Zone by Zone strategy bit for general game play and possibly for specific classes [though don't hold your breathe on the last one] and have also contributed to the Wiki. The wiki isn't all spoilers and should be check by everyone.

Give me and the other people working on these things some time - they won't be complete until T4 is complete, and as any developer will tell you, a true game is never complete.

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago

What if the cult continues to kidnap girls and summon demons until you stop them.

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago

This stuff is optional, it wouldnt make sense for you hear somebody call for rescue, wait a few months and then come to the rescue, obviously the girl is long dead by then :)
    The popup should warn you that it really looks dangerous, and maybe I'll up the min level a bit

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago

Well you may regret that if you actually want to do the quest since it only seems to come once. If you choose to not be a hero you get no further chances later on. Perhaps this needs changing? But for now it seems it is a skill test.

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago

Atrophy the alch version 3 just met the crypt at level 20.

Had resists all 35-60%, saves at 38 / 52 / 29 respectively...

Encountered a cultist. Took a hit, but thought I was fine considering hitpoints still over 400.
    Hit rejuve, to make certain I'd live.

I was very wrong.

It's response was 3 hits over 150 each, as well as a disease and some other affliction - single round.

This death really sucked.
    All my gear seemed to add stats and resists, including saves as well.
    I'd just found the Spydersilk robe (10arm/10def, 30% nat resist, 5con, -2wis,... and something else), and imbued a lvl 5 gem into it.

Next time I hear a voice crying out to be saved in the crypt, and I'm still only level 20, I think I'll just tell a patrol if I see one :p

Might give the game a break for a couple of days, else try a different difficulty setting until I can unlock the class I really want to play.

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago

I was lvl 3 when I killed Bill, which leveled me to 6.57...
    After mopping up 2 final mobs in the zone, I was at least 40% from level 7.
    I used the recall to get straight to the wilderness - so didn't get xp for clearing on the way out.
    Got the "voice crying out for help" pop-up about 2 spots from town.

The other time I got the "voice crying out for help" was the previous run of an Alchemist, and not until about lvl 17-20...
    I was already heavily loaded with alot to go sell, and wish I'd known just how short a run it was.

It's only one medium zone, then another stairs to a small zone with 4 rooms inside a larger room.
    A merchant at one end and bandits everywhere. Doors open and more bandits zerg in.
    Simply kited them around the room lobbing gem bombs on them, once I had agro of all of them from the person you have to save.

This the Dark Crypt, or is "voice crying out for help" a common theme?

• Interesting Resurrection Bug   9 years 48 weeks ago
    Wow

you got the crypt from level 7ish? That's pretty amazing...I have yet to get it in the current builds. My guys die too often.

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

That nails the experience in a nutshell. Well said!

BTW DG: this is the only Captcha I have ever used where I needed multiple refreshes for each of the two times it comes up for each post...

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

The NE cave - full of frost giants and other frozen mobs.

See an X come through the wall, and send the Golem in, with explosions and shock.

Seconds later, another X appears, and another.

3 killed and another 5 creep in. They're getting tougher.

Golem almost dead. Regen and mana runes on cooldown. I'll Phase out.

Explosion, shockwave, run. My life becomes a simple cycle of actions trying to live. 4 left. 3 left. 2 left... o dear.

The X has reformed with full life. AoE, it's knockback saves me. Regen applied. Explosion, shock, fire stave! It's low on health, but I'm lower... can I survive?

Cornered near the exit, trapped in a dead end. I know I can kill it in 3 or 4 rounds. I stay and fight. It smiles, drops its left shoulder and follows through with the right knocking me senseless and leaves me with an option "use blood to survive, or dump char".

I rise from the dead and smite the boss. My final rising from the grave expended, but a heroic fight that was incredibly fun. A stave and heavy armour in the loot from a lvl 31 mob... I ask for a Scrying... o dear... it's a reward I would have loved at lvl 5, but at lvl 19 it's only worthwhile as a toothpick.

• A voice crying out for help from a Dark Crypt? How bad can it be...   9 years 48 weeks ago

...but I'm already fully loaded even wearing a Mighty Girdle trying to get back to town to offload a ludicrous encumbrance.

I know, I'll come back!

Hmm, that hole was a round here somewhere. I guess they skewered her...

O look! Shiny things in this hole in the sand...

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

That same problem affects a lot of games. Quite funny if you aren't the victim of it but thoroughly depressing if you are. I, too am glad to hear that. Thanks for bringing it to attention.

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

Well one key binding I think is essential for new players is 'h'/'?'. These two things should always work in keyboard based games as they are the first things new players try when stuck. They should definitely lead to some kind of documentation that actually works and is informative. (A wiki-based solution could work here if the player doesn't mind opening a browser.)

'n' is also a much missed key. Repeating your last action is extremely handy when it involves multiple keystrokes or clicks. Being able to do so is like a mini macro without having to do any work.

I think an automap ('m') feature would be very good too. Mapping is one of the primary adventurer's tools. Without a good automapper the player has to be able to understand what the minimap symbols mean and that requires squinting and or glasses. Maybe since it is rather GUI already such a feature could be clickable on the mini map itself as well.

I think 'f' (fire) is a great key map as are 'v' (throw) and 'T' (dig) but I understand why they were not included. In most bands spells usually get their own command ('c' or 'm' or 's' or 'p') but again I understand why you didn't do that.

As for the Lower righthand display what you said is not clear from using it. Also the keybinding you suggest is also not clear.

I really wanted the character screen to be full screen and more informative. Seeing the dumps I know there is a lot more infomation than what shows up on the 'C' screen.

Your comments regarding the high level death thing is certainly true. I just found it extraordinarily frustration to have all those deaths in one area at one time being as careful as I know how to be. Multiple confusions/ranged area of effects and massive armies = hard to survive on any level. The home was actually easier than I initially thought it would be ...the casters made it very difficult but that was actually ok since I learned a bit how to deal with them. (Teleporting away when in trouble helps a lot, though it's no guarantee of safety.) The main thing is no matter how many lives a person has they will lose them all in death trap situations and the higher level you get the more dangerous the game gets progressively.

Also, Level 20 is not high level imho. It is certainly a milestone but it is a far cry from level 50. I was happy to have made it that far but disappointed that it all ended.

One thing I would like to see that you might want to think about is inheritance. If you find one or two interesting items it would be great if there was a quest to get them back on the next generation. (Perhaps a quest unlocked by dying after a certain level? 'Lay the ghost to rest'...?) That would definitely go a ways towards alleviating the pain a little.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will come back when my brain/heart rally a bit (and after I play some other games.)

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

I agree that seemingly instadeath situations are bad and should not happen like that.
    If you played since the early betas you'll know that I'm working toward making the game more fair and balanced. Always :)

That said, loosing high level chars is also the very definition of game with permanent death, that can not be denied (and ToME is nice on that account, you can ingame ways of resurrecting and the extra lives is easy/normal mode).

As for your comments gandolfo I certainly welcome them, only through such things can the game improve :)
    About the keybinds though I do not really agree, what more would you like ?
    Quaffing potions/reading scrolls is useless since there are no more. So really you only need one command to use the odd activable item or to inscribe an infusion/rune.

As for shoot, it should not be a specific key. Why ? Because it's a ranged attack like any others, why should it have a specific key? If it had, then manathrust should too, and Flame, and Lightning, and Drain and ... :)
    Now if the problem is that you'd prefer to shoot by pressing 'f' that I can understand and it's easily doable. Say you put you Shoot on hotkey 1, just go to the keybind menu and bind hotkey 1 to 'f' and you're done. You can also bind items to hotkeys BTW and you do get 36 hotkeys, which should be largely enough for all classes.

Thanks for your comments, hope youre back soon!

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

Never saw the house quest or any vaults.

Look forward to encountering that feature.

Mostly I'm glad that beta 18 fixed the golem problem. My first Alchemist was nicely monstered by his disgruntled pet from not being careful with cast paths. :p

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

Just lost my lvl 23 Alchemist to a monster summon trap. 1 second, no monsters. Next second, I'm surrounded by 15 mobs that use AoE effects, breath weapons and multiply. Tried out Gem Portal to get out of the mess, as supposedly it's meant to move you up to 10 squares... didn't move at all. Used a shock then to push mobs out to hope to get to run to door, but just led to there being another 7-10 mobs. Regen and Shielding couldn't cope with the 300+ dmg/rnd. My 600hp golem was killed in one round.

Really sucks to lose a well geared character that was progressing very well to another monster zerg from a trap or effect that gave no warning - even with talents/gear to show traps/invis etc; combined with a broken game mechanic. Documentation really sucks if you want to do any reading on talent trees or spell usage.

I'd removed my Phase rune after it repeatedly put me in a worse scenario that I wanted to get out of. Found a magic scaling shielding rune that up until the death point, easily got me out of any bad situation.

So now ultimately, I still have no idea what mechanic of the game led to there being so many mobs instantly appear at once at certain locations. Cannot avoid or handle differently the unknown.

After playing roguelikes since basically their inception, and experiencing most which exist, I'll easily say this is one of the best in how it looks and plays. Facing 30%+ of a total zone's mobs as you first enter was tough. How easily a well geared, experienced stat/resist balanced toon can be wiped in 3 rounds is just disappointing.

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

Some answers and comments:

a) I also miss some keys like a dedicated command to shoot a bow or sling. On the other hand there are already 36 commands that can be shown in the box by switching pages with PageUp/PageDown. Tab also shows a list of monsters in line of sight and their distance which is really useful.

b) A guide for new players could be useful, as well as additional warnings (e.g. before doing something that will end a quest).

c) The house is a nice achievement, and I hope that DG will add more functions later. Before this version I usually used a vault to store non-needed items.

d) Escort quests are hard because of the idiotic behaviour of the NPCs. A good solution would be to have a chat menu with some orders (stay here, follow me in 6 tiles distance, don't leave my side and so on). Mages have it easier because controlled phasedoor, time prison, stone wall can be used to keep the NPC safe.

d) Yes, archers and mages are more dangerous than pure melee NPCs (at least in the west). You need a good ranged defense, good armour, or good physical defense against archers and good resistances against mages, and both is difficult to obtain early in the game. It is easier to increase constitution early on and to learn/increase the Health talent. Another thing to note is that you can dodge projectiles like some spells or arrows, e.g. by going one step backwards, and that mages and archers will not attack with projectiles if another monster is between them and you.

e) About the graphic effect: The effects can be disabled in the main menu (ESC->Video Options->Framebuffers:disabled).

• Too Hard   9 years 48 weeks ago

I am not sure I completely agree with you, though I do think it would be good for tome to accommodate different peoples tastes and difficulty degrees.

I have an idea (I need to propose it to DarkGod), which I think would be an improvement, and add a great deal more customization to difficulty levels.

Yes, escort quests are hard, but they are worth it. I am able to save 90+% of mine though escorts on the boss levels are pretty much doomed.

I would agree that in Maj (not the far east) that melee monsters get weak to you fast (unless they are skellies), but in the far east they are still harder. I guess it really is because most melee monsters in Maj do not use weapons, so their damage is restricted some.

Confuse is a pain and one of the best resistances to get, I do think that it could be improved on more (mental save is the hardest one to increase)

All that said... don't stay away too long.

I made it out of the Dark Crypt and back to Derth alive. Apart from a lingering rash I could almost believe it was all a bad dream.