• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

I have written a general guide to fighters, dwarf fighters in particular.

It covers what talents do, which to raise, which to ignore, general strategy, ideal equipment, stats, dungeon order, ect.

Have a look and you might find some interesting tips/things you didn't realize/know before. If you do look at it, could you possibly leave a comment there on how it could be improved?

Thanks

FM

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

At least twice I've had non-rogue characters find both "Moon" and "Star" daggers in the Maze. And selling them for ten cents on the gold piece really hurts.

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

Sucks but true. Stick to infusions and left one slot to "oh shit teleport".

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

Found a really really nice randart great sword just recently and wished it was on one of the two-hander classes instead of the fighter I am currently running. Sad right?

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

It seems that once the skills are unlocked there is no penalty to using runes or other magic devices.

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

I realized that this Urist was wasting the shield skill set, but I got carried away by that stralite greatsword.

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago
    Some comments:
    • Stick with either 2-handed weapons (berserker) or 1-handed weapons and shields (fighter) - spending points in both trees is not optimal. At the moment you are playing a weakened berserker without the nifty special skills of the class (Bloodthirst tree, stunning attack with a 2h weapon, more hit points).
    • As a fighter, you should normally spend points in Dexterity and the shield tree. Raising Shield Wall to 5/5 and using it makes you immune to stun attacks and increases the defense. You will only do perhaps 1/3 of the damage of a berserker, but you will take only few and not so damaging hits because of the increased armour and defense. One point in Assault and Overpower are enough in this version, but with Shield Expertise at 5/5 the special shields attacks will also be devastating. It is perhaps too late to change this build, but keep it in mind for the next fighter.
    • Health 1/5 is too low, try to increase it further for more hit points. You also need to think where to spend the generic points. Ideally, a warrior should try to maximize Weapon Combat, Weapon Mastery, Health and Massive Armour Training (29 points), which leaves around 12 points for the other skills (e.g. Antimagic, Trap detection, Track).
    • You have the Phial, so the Sun infusion is not needed anymore. Try to get a good Phase Door or Teleportation rune. A teleportation amulet (swap) and a teleportation wand are also nice. Try also to collect some elemental resistance rings, e.g. lightning for Storming the city quest and cold for Daikara.
    • There is a random encounter that could appear starting with level 20 - be aware that it is a very dangerous place.
  • Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

Congrats on the win! :) Try unlocking the mage city after you finish the Antimagic quest. That way you can get better infusions and runes there, and maybe some rings and wands.

• Urist conquers the sandhole   10 years 46 weeks ago

I've been eying that skill tree, haven't completed it yet, but tele or phase is just so important. :-/

• Bugs?   10 years 46 weeks ago

Bugs should be reported here: http://forums.te4.org/viewforum.php?f=42 Also, you can try IRC channel: http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23463

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

A fun read Freddybear. Thanks for posting :)

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

That did not go well. Found that following the neutral burrowers around would eventually get Snik to a down stair. She made it to lvl 5 but then a gravity worm and three corrosive burrowers did her in. Twice. Bad tactics again, after she resurrected and decided to recall out she should have taken the up stairs to wait for the recall to kick in.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

the Shade at the bottom of Kor'Pul usually drops an artifact stave.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

Gathered up some magical staves to complete the apprentice mage quest since I didn't get an artifact staff from any of the bosses. The first couple of levels of Old Forest and Kor'Pul yielded enough staves to do the job. He'll also take rings or amulets but not wands.

Checked out Angolwen's shops.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

Practically everything in the Maze fell to stealthy attacks of Flurries. An orc master assassin gave Snik a bit of trouble, but he fell as well, and the stingy bugger didn't drop anything either.

Trap detect and disarm helped a lot, but wasn't perfect. Lots of high level traps in the Maze.

Bad tactics cost Snik another life. The Boss Minotaur used Sunder Armor and Snik should have phased away right then, but instead she tried to get in another Flurry.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

Back in Derth the Gwelgoroth were trouble. The linen robe of lightning resist wasn't enough by itself. Cost another life, but the Ultimate Gwelgoroth went in return. The rest of the pack fell to Flurries.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

A Lost Warrior on Old Forest (1) died when an Umber Hulk came up behind us while a whole line of snakes and other pests were in front. Oh well. I suppose the Detection wand might have helped a bit with figuring out the route before proceeding.
    An Anorithil on Old Forest (3) died because Snik couldn't tell her to back up two whole lousy steps into a hallway. They were facing a whole s***load of canines without cover. Oh well.
    An Anaconda on Old Forest (4) had Snik in a death grip but she used Phase Door to get out before she suffocated.
    Finally, a lone alchemist on Old Forest (7) died because, well, because it was Old Forest (7) and the level was practically nothing but canines and Wrathroot. Phase Door and instant healing saved the day again. Wrathroot dropped a bunch of enchanted swords and one flaming steel dagger (yum!), plus the

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

Went into Kor'Pul. Opened a sealed door vault with four skeleton mages, cost (only) one life. One of them dropped the Feathersteel Amulet.

Helped a Lost Warrior and took Strength +2.

Had to detour around a bloated horror to find the down stairs.

The Shade went down to a one Flurry, one Dual Strike (which stunned it) and a couple of regular hits. Snik had more trouble from those skelly mages.

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

We know that runes/infusions are still rather unbalanced with each other along with spells, activations and wands.

• Welcome - first thoughts   10 years 46 weeks ago

Greetings to a fellow ex-DURISer!

• My first online character.   10 years 46 weeks ago

Located Bill while still level 3. An extended pillar-dance ensued with much regen and a few phase doors while Snik wore poor old Bill down with her daggers. Bill dropped the Mighty Girdle as well as the Rod of Recall, plus some other enchanted heavy armor. Along the way, Snik picked up a shocking dagger and a duelists healing infusion (heal 111, cooldown 10). And of course Elisa gave her the Orb of Scrying.

Meta-note - check the cooldown rate as well as the power on runes and infusions.

• And again just wow.   10 years 47 weeks ago

Here is a question: why do you think I can succeed at 25 where I failed at 21? According to your own logic my approach is flawed and should lose no matter what. (By the way I have succeeded at 16 where I failed at 21 so I don't think it is just a level issue.)

Your experiences with the game are clearly not mine. Now I am not an Adom player at all and while I have played many games (roguelike and other types) over many years I haven't beaten any of the ones you mentioned. Heck I have trouble beating Civ games past the warlord level.(I can win but the scores are always subpar.) I know I lack patience for true skill in these games. I am not a powergamer. I do not enjoy powergaming.

That said I don't think TOME has to be a powergamer only type of game where only those who play flawlessly get to enjoy it. Flawlessness has a price. What I think is required is patience, which is something I lack. And knowledge which I will acquire.

And no, not "THAT" easy. Fairly easy. I chose my words with some care. It has some randomness which makes life difficult at first. (Equipment varies a lot, what is in stores, what you face in any given level. Even the Trollmire which is the starting area. The reason I don't do TM first normally (though I did at first) is because it gives terrible exp and is a slow slog for a starting character. It is a bit safer I agree but it is also boring. For me 1 death in normal is a fair trade for a faster more satisfying start.)

As for Hardcore, the style is not for me as I do not enjoy spending hours on a game only to have to start from scratch because of a momentary lapse of judgement or a twitchy finger as has happened in this very game to me. That's one reason I never tried to beat the bands. Old Tome had some mods where the danger of that was lesser. And some wacky modes like Lost Souls that were very random and potentially interesting (if doomed.)

That isn't to say I will never try hardcore or infinity mode (since I managed to unlock that today) but it is not how I enjoy playing. I never bothered with ironman in D2/LOD...or any of its mods. If I want that kind of challenge I play M:tg or Chess. For other games I prefer a slightly less frustrating approach.

I am a bit confused on one thing though. If you haven't made a successful mage yet how can you presume to give me advice on the crypt using a mage?

• And again just wow.   10 years 47 weeks ago

I would change your note from "never again" to "never unless my level is 25+". Those extra 4 lives should have given you another health +40 boost, and extra class points to up the damage of your spells a tad more. Everything matters in such fights. I know that I will never enter the crypt unless I have finished the Dreadfell - those 3-4 extra levels, escort quests rewards and loot helps.

I agree that playing hardcore will hone the skills. (Sorry to write so much as a comment to the post, but it seemed to pour out once I started. So this is to anyone who cares to read, not directly to OP)
    The game is supposed to be beatable without losing lives at all. So when death is not an option you play much more safely and smartly. You died 4 times in the starting dungeons, where 0 is the norm for hardcore. This should suggest that you use different tactics than people who regularly beat starting areas flawlessly. Mabye your build was subpar? Mabye you are forgetting to use infusions or racial abilities? Mabye you are using wrong kind of gear? Mabye maze first (after trolls I assume) isn't such a good idea? (I almost always do troll - old forest - keep - maze/sand - daikara.)

I have little experience in Tome4, just two weeks worth. Did play other roguelikes, so I play hardcore. I got one char to final dungeon, died there before final fight (I think anyway). I survived crypt 3 out of 3 times (sadly the girl died 2 of 3 but not me). Killed the master 3 of 3. What I love about the game and quest system is actually that you might need advance knowledge to successfully complete certain quests (merchant, crypt, Limmir, mount doom), but if you play your char well (and it is safely built) you should survive and still be able to proceed in the game.

I did die a lot in the early game, but that sure taught _me_ more than trekking on with a doomed-from-the-midgame character would have.

"The game starts off fairly easy to play once one gets a handle on the changes and the keys etc"

4 deaths = not THAT easy...all my attempts at making a mage char have failed, so I know I need to learn how to keep one alive first.

• Profile disabled   10 years 47 weeks ago

Was running beta 17 when I started and set up profile, then downloaded beta 18 as soon as it came out as my Alchemist got snotted by its golem from accidentally hitting it.

Not running any custom mods/classes.

Last character was a Dwarf Cursed - very impressive until lvl 20, where it was summarily killed by a plethora of drakes, hatchlings and storm drake which filled 60% of the zone with mobs. By the time everything was killed and cleared I was down to only blood left for res, had gained 2.3 levels and 500 gold.

• Ruined Dungeon   10 years 47 weeks ago

Doing the dungeon again...first orb on the right hand side...no message at all for declining to touch it...

Nevermind. Having deciphered the meaning of these hints it became clearer enough that I was able to discern the order.