• Frost Invoker   19 weeks 4 days ago

The decoy is quite useful, but suffers due to range 1. Especially as you can't cast it behind you then switch places. As for gap closer, I see another problem in you only having one such, especially as it is unreliable (if you are dazed by, say, slime Psyshot, neither of its options qould work, e.g.). Even Sun Paladin has 2 (actually more as 2h talent is a useful short-range closer).

• Dance of the Edge   19 weeks 4 days ago

The ArmoredBrick build is not so horrible as I feared, but still quite boring. On another note: is it possible to include some notes or something to indicate where boss Dancers are?

• Frost Invoker   19 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks, those specifics are helpful.

The class is a melee fighter that augments their combat will spell casting, so there is really not meant to be a great "ranged option". That said, there are a few talents that would probably benefit from having a fixed range so that you have a bit more reach early on when your melee is still a little weak, especially the gap closer. I have an idea to rework Icy Blast into a bit of a rush-like mobility talent instead of a ball AoE.

As far as defense, I think the class is pretty well outfitted in that regard, but it might benefit from having some things shuffled around to make some of the stronger defense available a bit sooner. Cryochamber stops killing blows and with Ice Infusion you can escape after Cryo triggers. Plus they have a damage bubble, crit reduction, all res, a decoy that pulls aggro in a large area and pins when it dies, a debuff to reduce enemy damage, a hard single target lock, and a large AoE freeze. Some of these take a while to really come online, but I don't think classes need to be super strong right out of the gate.

Overall I think the class is in a good place, but it may need some tweaks to give it bit more survivability early on so that it's not as difficult to reach a place where you really start to feel strong. Your feedback, and that of others, has given me a few ideas on how to tweak things a bit to accomplish that.

• Frost Invoker   19 weeks 5 days ago

...combination? Defence is not good enough plus lack of inherent escapes . Heals are weak (may be better with investment, but I die before that). For attacks - there are stops for melee enemies, but no against ranged (at leasst at early levels). Also, range requires heavy investment AND few closing options. Plus you can't go the normal mage path and just buy Staff Combat as a ranged option. Honsetly, just don't see how you see it all working together. Utility is probably the main problem, but...

• Frost Invoker   19 weeks 5 days ago

What aspect in particular feels weak? Offense or defense? Lack of utility? I'm trying to get a better idea of what could use improvement.

• Frost Invoker   19 weeks 5 days ago

The idea is interesting, but feels weakish, at least on Insane.

• Dance of the Edge   19 weeks 6 days ago

icons now work well. On the other hand, the fact remains that no 'dancing' take place. Maybe some name change?? And I would say that the powers of these guys are too supernatural to be powered by Stamina. Probably Equilibrium or Psi be more logical? Leaf style remains the most useful at least till level 20 or so. Builds other than Leaf or Storm get killed at low levels (Leaf can survive most things, Storm can reach mages or archers). Thrown knives cornac build mitigates this somewhat but Throw requires its own investment. Had a fight with the Rock Dancer miniboss that reminded me of one time my friends decided to test Palladium RIFTS combat system: I spent probably 100 or more game turns sawing through his protection while regenerating anything he could do. :(( Leaf boss is almost as annoying, though he at least presents an actual danger with his poison. Letters from Old Master are BAD. They are so cliche it is not fun. :( Didn't read all, but hope is slim. Got killed from boredom but will probably test some more in the days to come.

• Frost Invoker   20 weeks 1 day ago

New class by the one and only nsrr? Hype. Definitely gonna give it a whirl on my next run. Always love a good unarmed build.

• Bristlebarb   20 weeks 1 day ago

well a new class IS just around the corner
    planning on doing the last couple talents tomorrow, and then it's playtesting/release :)

and once balance is a bit more established, i have plans for extra trees eventually, like bbarb got roots later on.

• Bristlebarb   20 weeks 2 days ago

There's plenty of cases where plants and wooded objects actively resist fire. First of all, living plants? Don't burn very well. Too wet. :) And then there's stuff like iron wood or other flame-retardant woods. A dense brush can also smother fire by choking its access to air. You could also argue as the thorns grow more aggressively, they gain better blight resistance and ability to fight off disease. Again, there's examples in nature.

Highly anticipating said fixes, I actually enjoy this class a super lot. I love slow tanky classes like Bulwark, and basically having "Angry Treeform Druid" has been an absolute blast (and sometimes outright hilarious). Excellent work all around, and I eagerly look forward to seeing what other unique class ideas come out of you.

• Dance of the Edge   20 weeks 6 days ago

Thanks for your comment; I appreciate it. Auto-scumming bug is now fixed, as is the icon bug. Still working on the negatiive regen after death one. I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it yet.

• Dance of the Edge   20 weeks 6 days ago

Still trying to nail this one down... thanks for your comment, and hopefully I'll have it fixed soon.

• Dance of the Edge   20 weeks 6 days ago

Fixed the bugs. Thanks for your help and comments. Stamina recovery also available via Dance of the Leaf tree. =)

• Bristlebarb   20 weeks 6 days ago

From a realism standpoint i agree with fire and blight being out of theme. From a playing standpoint, one of those being extremely common and the other extremely dangerous i'm not convinced i should remove them...

I also noticed you don't always rest exactly to 50%, but just around it, i keep meaning to push a fix but end up working on other projects, i have a doc with other changes i wanna include at the same time :) It will be fixed !

Auto explore does NOT break from thorns since it ignores your thorns. And the debuff from being <50% is only applied if there is an enemy in line of sight (but it can be outside light radius or invisible, i didn't want to lose the debuff just because you couldn't see the enemy, it just means an enemy could potentially attack you). You can restore thorns with controlled growth or being in sight of rare so you shouldn't end up stuck anyway ? If I'm misunderstanding and you can give me a bit more info i might reproduce.

• Bristlebarb   21 weeks 1 hour ago

Honestly, I feel since they're thorns, fire and blight resistance should be removed from those, or reduced compared...(General concept of thorns which are subject to blights and susceptible to fire....) Also... the rest restores thorns to 50% is broken... about level 5ish I started noticing that my thorns would randomly set at like 46/100 instead of returning to 50%(50/100) and only got worse from there as I upped the body thorns talent... since the value being to grow in distance from the 50% value... eventually I couldn't use auto explore anymore and since rest doesn't do a "thorns" check and instead looks to life (Which other than billy, I've yet to come close to dying as a Dwarf Bristlebarb.... yeah...)

• Patch 1.7 big feature preview: New Necromancers!   21 weeks 8 hours ago

Nice. W8 this patch... Ebuilds? Wait? Again? Gentoo?..

• Patch 1.7 big feature preview: New Necromancers!   21 weeks 11 hours ago

So excited for this! thanks for all the hard work Darkgod

• Discordant ( + Critic, Kudzu, Primitive, Scorpion, Colossus)   21 weeks 22 hours ago

There's two build that I use; max out Discord or Schism tree.

Discord's Mindstorm damage is weak until you can get Dean of Discord. In the mean time, you kill stuff by kiting the enemy inside the Mindstorm radius while walking away from them. Remember that Psionic Form gives movespeed boost with at least 80 psi, so you can run away.

Schism deal more damage and has built-in crowd control effects. With Split Personality, you can pretty much spam it every turn. The random teleports means you can never be locked down, then again it's random so you need to be lucky.

Overall, the class has tons of AoE damage, but lack single target damage against boss (other than Distortion tree)

• Discordant ( + Critic, Kudzu, Primitive, Scorpion, Colossus)   21 weeks 1 day ago

How would you recommend building a Discordant trying to get off the ground in Insane?

• Dance of the Edge   21 weeks 1 day ago

The main problem is that there is no impression of 'dancing'. Leaf dance is without alternative and you only need others to get stat requirements - till you learn the talent allowing you to use 2. I used Wind periodically but had to switch to Leaf at almost any serious opposition. I think that you should get at least some placeholder icons for talents - otherwise all similar icons are quite irritating. Also noted the bug with negative regeneration mentioned here but I think it is more connected with turning off own Leaf dance upon death. Semi-permanent stats effects for requirememnts is a good idea - but the game seems to see these as 1 lower ( or base requrements as 1 higher?): needed 19 Str for wwpn mastery, 29 Cun for Track, etc.

• Dance of the Edge   21 weeks 1 day ago

I've lost two characters when their hp regen became permanently negative after battle with bosses from this mod (the water one and the leaf one). There was no status effect on my characters, nor was there anything suspicious in their inventory (one of my characters was only 9th level, so I simply dropped everything he had on the ground).

• Patch 1.7 big feature preview: New Necromancers!   21 weeks 1 day ago

Looking forward to this! If you need any early testers/bug finders happy to help.

• Pro Staff Combat   21 weeks 2 days ago
    yep

No that's all it does. Changed the description to better reflect that. It was in response to this thread in the forums: http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=50920. I made something quick to see what it would be like and registered it mainly so I can play online with the addon. You're of course welcome to use it, or to take the code and add other features you would like, but I'm not promoting this for public consumption.

• Pro Staff Combat   21 weeks 2 days ago

The only changes in this are to the Staff Mastery talent, adding that bit of Dexterity scaling to staff damage? Or is there more and I'm not loading it somehow?

• Dance of the Edge   21 weeks 3 days ago

Impressed with the zone and the added bosses.
    The design of the class is interesting, although I think it suffers from all the 'At Level 3/5' effects.

• Dance of the Torrent should allow learning Heavy Armor Training with 14 STR or less instead of 16, but it does not, giving a 'Impossible!' popup upon trying to close the level-up screen. It also prevents me from learning Weapon Mastery at all unless the Dance is actually sustained. The auto-scumming is a nice idea, but it doesn't seem to work properly.
    • Talents with capital .PNG icon filenames don't show up in the default zipped form of the addon.
    • If you put 5 points in a dance, learn Master of the Dance, remove 1 point from the dance, and then close the levelup screen, it causes an error.

• The locked Duelist tree has their only way to recover stamina?