• Roguelike Chat Guard   15 weeks 4 days ago

Could this be expanded to apply to every menu? I get burned quite often when a menu has a ton of options, such as when buying a random artifact from the merchant, and end up selecting an option I didn't want instead of having the cursor move up and down the options with the vi keys as it does on menus with fewer options.

• Is this thing on?   15 weeks 4 days ago

Hi Gandolfo, and many thanks for the warm welcome and words of wisdom!

This is my second venture into Tales since playing the free version many years ago, and I'm finding it even more fun this time around. The main motivation for playing exploration for a while is to see more of the delicious content I know is tucked away in the game, but has always remained tantalizingly out of reach, as well as getting in some much needed worldly knowledge about things like alternate dungeon layouts and alt bosses, and changes made since I last played. I have a lot of love for a certain other game involving dwarves and fortresses, so dying will always be fun, but nothing says 'Right, time to figure this out' like a bit of cheesy immortality. :D

I take your point about knowing when to start running away, I feel the same way about character survival. Knowing when to engage and when to retreat is paramount, and part of the reason I want to build up a bit of knowledge - but I agree that it certainly tends to sink in more easily when you're on the edge of your seat on adventure/roguelike mode. That's where the heart of the game is for me, and I look forward to returning to it once I've completed or exhausted my newbie tour.

I have the most experience playing an Archmage at the moment, which I feel has the better escape options of the handful of classes I have unlocked. Between disperse magic, nifty teleports, pushback spells and take-that-out-of-play-for-X-turns effects, there always seems to be something available to solve a problem. What I'm finding hardest to deal with at the moment is finding enough ways to deal with physical, mental and magic effects that lock me out of my usual escape options - I think it may just be a case of packing a rune for each one and learning to play without manasurge or shield runes until more slots become available later on. That said, I don't have many of the classes or races unlocked yet, so I'm sure this outlook will change with time. I've just begun playing around with the Earth and Frost categories and am finding my survivability has improved already. Can't believe I went so long without using Freeze!

Cheers,

- Tukohama.

• Is this thing on?   15 weeks 4 days ago

It's been so long since I did exploration mode I have forgotten what it is like but I have to say with moderately careful play on normal adventure you should have a fairly good learning experience. The main thing is to learn how to run away well (it can be really hard) before the danger is beyond the point of no return. Perilous journeys are yours. That said I don't blame you for trying a character or two on exploration mode. Nothing ruins fun more than ignorance compounded by surprise compounded by wry chagrin because "if only". But I will also say that learning the game's gotchyas is probably more profound an experience on roguelike where you get but one death per character. Soon you learn to value living above all else and shiver in fear at every nuance that differs from your prior knowledge.

But I speak nonsense because I rarely venture into Tome with a roguelike character because truthfully, I don't find it fun. I like the option of either ditching a build that fails early or struggling on past mistakes/bad luck (it does exist despite the naysayers denials) when I think a build worthwhile and fun. Of course "fun" varies in definition with each person so no judgment imho. In any event, welcome to TOME, may it please you for many years as you explore, venture, learn and grow in knowledge.

- Gandolfo (aka Gando The Bard)

• Crystalist   15 weeks 4 days ago

Really love the class my only real grip is with devastate. Using the skill will either result in you killing basically everything in sight or dying with no power to save yourself until you've invested adequate points into antimagic defensive/healing stuff. 4 of the 5 deaths of my character were when using devastate before taking enough defensive skills (and the 5th was me drowning haha). Taking Eye of the Tiger makes it even more of a joke as it gives you 100% up time with the skill.
    Even if it was more balanced I still wouldn't be a fan, taking away all control from the player for 5 turns to gamble whether they deal a lot of damage or die isn't a fun to use or strategic skill.

• Record of a Noobie's Growth vol 2   15 weeks 6 days ago

If you get too distracted, and want some stress relief.

Cornac Cursed on 1.5.10
    get Rampage w/ the cat point
    one point in each skill as they come up,
    you can figure out what scales later.
    Have fun.

(ps. almost forgot, don't mess w/ the curse items thing. its too cerebral)

• Record of a Noobie's Growth vol 2   16 weeks 1 day ago

Sorry been a little busy with work and things. I work restaurants so 12 hour days and 6 days week are the norm this time a year.

My Alchemist is still alive but am finding the class to be a little different to play as I have to manage two characters at once.

• Record of a Noobie's Growth vol 2   16 weeks 3 days ago

Hihis! How is your alchemists now? Yousie have not been writings for a whiles. Is okies? :>

• Spell Blade Class   17 weeks 4 hours ago

I will play this just on the strength of the talent icons. Nice work. I look forward to seeing how this looks inside the game.

OK. Just played it for a few hours. First impression. Lots of fun. What a lovely xmas gift. Thank you.

• No more ambient   17 weeks 19 hours ago

Doesn't work with 1.5.10, although game doesn't show error that this module is incompatible. Is there any other mod which does the same?
    EDIT: nvm, I had to start new game. It works, thanks...

• Easy Map v2   17 weeks 1 day ago

Nice qol mod

• Improved Combat Text v2   17 weeks 1 day ago

Must have

• Tales of Maj'Eyal on Android?! Oh yes baby!   17 weeks 1 day ago

I'm a newcomer too, I bought the whole maj'eyal experience on gog for about 10.30 euros on this winter sales (ok, small contribution :$), and I already like it very much, and I'd gladly *donate for it for my android tablet :) hope you'll be able to make it run on average tablets! (Huawei MediaPad lite 3^^)

• Spell Blade Class   17 weeks 5 days ago

This bug is fixed in v1.1

• Spell Blade Class   18 weeks 1 hour ago

Is that so? That may explain it. Wouldn't surprise me if I've hit that high.
    Thanks for the info!

• Spell Blade Class   18 weeks 1 day ago

The class looks nice, but there is one rather interesting bug.
    Basically, if you activate Ice Shield while you already have a shield equipped, and the total block talent level given by the equipped shield and Ice Shield exceeds 5, the game shaves it back down to 5. However, this artificial reduction isn't known to Ice Shield, and so, when you deactivate Ice Shield, you lose levels in Block until you unequip and reequip your offhand shield.

• Razakai's Reworks   18 weeks 1 day ago

The mod class feels too strong and too bland. From medium levels I just clicked everything to death (IDungeon, Nightmare). One reason I see is abscence of actual new mechanics, another one is that low numbers of Generic talents makes their choice a no-brainer.. :( Plus, the words that this character 'pays no mind to defence' are a blatant lie - he can eeasily max Heavy armor and wear any plates, which, together with boost to regen and Iron Skin makes the class completely uninteresting.

• Spell Blade Class   18 weeks 1 day ago

Is it possible you've reached > 99 add-ons in your add-on folder? I've heard that will crash the game on load. I know at least one other person tried this add-on without a crash on load.

• Spell Blade Class   18 weeks 2 days ago

Don't know if it's just me, but whenever I try to start a new game, I select T.o.M.E. as normal, and then, instead of loading to go to the character creation screen... "Tales of Maj'Eyal has stopped working". Is this a problem everyone's getting? Or just the guy who collects addons?

• Razakai's Reworks   18 weeks 4 days ago

The forum thread has a more detailed description, which I'll copy into here.

• Razakai's Reworks   18 weeks 5 days ago

Could we please get a list/description of all the changes in these addons, or at least the classes changed? That would be simpler to check than loading each class with and without the addon to see what is different

• Today is the 9th Anniversary of Tales of Maj'Eyal first line of code!   19 weeks 2 days ago

I still playing, watching for every addon and dreaming about Android version of TOME

• Today is the 9th Anniversary of Tales of Maj'Eyal first line of code!   21 weeks 2 days ago

I see that this game is celebrating nine years of existence, but I'm one of the newer players. I've only had this game for less than half a year. I've only got 87 measly hours. I'm only on my 6th character in the main mode. I've only beaten the full arena once on normal difficulty. When I see this, I ask myself what I'm going to do next. The answer is easy: I'm going to play my 6th character, a Dwarven Barbarian, cliche I know but I love him, until he either dies for good or finally nets me a win in this game. I look at this game's milestone, and I only hope that I still enjoy it when I have ten times as many hours on it just as much as I do now. It's a great game that I wasn't expecting to be so great. Cheers to nine years of life ToME. May your character deaths be fair, and may your victories be celebrated.

• Today is the 9th Anniversary of Tales of Maj'Eyal first line of code!   21 weeks 3 days ago

I, an old man with ailments of age, still remember when I tried first versions of the aberration of an roguelike like TOME4, when it first came out.

A few dungeons, and the impossibility of killing even the easiest of (nowadays) bosses in a T1 area :)
    Man it was hard. A few subsequent updates later, still rather raw, and oh so hard.

Still, for some reason, I came back every now and then. Died a lot, and still came back.

Now, after quite a few wins, and quite a few more deaths later... been quite simply the most time consuming game I've ever played. The replayability with difficulties, classes, and weird addons gives always a fresh and unique flavor to the game.

Got to hand it to you Darkgod, even if the tears of players revitalises your coding skills and general well being, the fact, that I've not touched (maybe slightly tickled once or twice) another roguelike after TOME4, is a testament of your legacy on the annals of gaming.

(oh and the ailments of age, 40+ of age, just lazy probably, that's why I'm hurting sometimes I suppose)

Keep on going, you have quite a loyal fanbase to keep you company!

p.s. Fanbase: do donate. Even if Darkgod doesn't need mortal sustenance, I'm sure his family appreciates it ;)

tome4 is the best game

Thank you darkgod, for this sweet game.
    I also finally bought the Forbidden Cults too.
    Keep on keeping on man.